Monday, April 5, 2010

To all the history buffs out there...

I apologize.

With so many feathered distractions around, I've been slacking on my Midway history. I know the gist of what went on here but have yet to dig deeper into the details. But! I have been taking pictures of some of the older buildings built during the military days and thought that they may be of interest to some of you.




These two signs are displayed on the old airport terminal.

Pill box on the beach

View from inside the pill box

This building is now where we take all recyclables.

This is also referred to as the 'parachute building.'

Most structures are completely abandoned.

Well, this used to be an intersection.

This is all that remains of the island chapel.

I'm not sure what this building was used for. It's located near the runway.

Somebody told me this is where the nuclear weapons were kept.

Ammunitions bunker

Sign in the seaplane hangar

Gun emplacement on Eastern Island



Midway Memorial
Another memorial near the airport

No comments:

Post a Comment